WEST AFRICAN AGRICULTURAL MARKET INFORMATION SYSTEM NETWORK
(W A M I S - NET)
WAMIS-NET is a Network of Market Information Systems from Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea, Niger, Mali, Senegal, Togo, and Nigeria. Together they provide to all stakeholders up to date and accurate information on 400 rural and urban agricultural commodity markets via different media. The network monitors the development of the agricultural sector through the collection and publication of related statistics and analytical reports.
The West African Market information Systems Network aims to contribute to food security and poverty reduction and seeks to promote regional trade. In particular WAMIS-Net wants to facilitate better commercial decision-making by all the stakeholders, by providing them an equitable access to strategic information through an effective management and communication of factual data and information.
- Contribute to the development of national MIS through an administrative and financial autonomy
- Strengthen the MIS through dynamics follow-up-evaluations
- Create a formal exchange framework of agricultural information between national MIS of West Africa
- Harmonisation: Harmonize the data collection, processing and diffusion used by the MIS
- Sharing information: Deliver "hot" information to stock holders, for better decision-making in order to contribute to the development and the flow of sub regional exchanges to the benefit of sustainable food security
- Advocacy: Support autonomy, growth and sustainability of national information systems to constitute a plea and special interest group for them toward political, administrative, legislative and juridical decisions makers
- Informed decisions: Help Regional Institutions and National decision making bodies (government) in production, processing and marketing processes of agricultural products
- Poverty reduction: Contribute to the improvement of the incomes of rural people
- Regulations and standards: Contribute to the development of the African trade environment for agricultural and farm-produce products by the harmonizing the national and regional policies and regulations
- Capacity development: Contribute to strengthen the technical and professional abilities for traders organizations in relation with the agricultural markets activities
- Partnership: Collaborate with national, regional and international organizations, which have similar objectives
- Advocacy: Build national concerns around MIS as a focal point in the process of making available useful information
ACTIVITIES & SERVICES
- Up to date information delivered on markets parameters (prices, quantities, flows, etc.) by publishing weekly prices directories and by monitoring permanently the agricultural markets
- Studies and investigations on agricultural products and food security
- Information on business opportunities
- Bring together traders by exchanging data prices between WANIS-NET them trough the Internet
- Media : Internet, radio, print, email, sms
- Data collection, entering, processing and information dissemination
- Publishing weekly, monthly, semi-annual bulletins
- The 2005 Work plan implemented (including training, capacity building, etc.)
VARIOUS DOMAINS OF PARTNERSHIP
- Support to traders organisations (ROESAO, FACIA, RECAO, etc.)
- Strengthening the technical capabilities of the MIS and professional skills of the MIS personnel
- Development of a regional platform and shared data bases
To be part of the WAMIS-NET any MIS candidate must address a written justified request to the Coordinator of the WAMIS-NET. This request is subject to examination by the next meeting of the RESIMAO members.
Procedure of acceptance of membership
The membership requests must be formulated in writing and addressed to the Coordinator of the Network.
The Operational Committee has a thirty (30) days deadline as from the date of reception of the request to notify to the applicant the action taken on the request.
After analysis, the Operational Committee presents the General Assembly the requests which are acceptable.
To be completely membership comes only after the approval of the General Assembly.
Documents to provide to get a membership
- a written justification of the motivation of membership
- a copy of the constitution of the structure candidate
- the organization of the structure
- the nominated list of the main responsible involved in a management of the MIS
- the last management report of the structure